There are plenty of risky drug trends out there, but the vodka tampon trend is one of the worst. This unconventional method refers to soaking tampons in vodka and inserting it into a body cavity to rapidly absorb alcohol and experience more intense intoxication. While experimenting with weird drugs for getting high is not uncommon, the vodka-soaked tampon trend is the result of a combination of peer pressure, alcohol abuse, and health risks. Not only does this trend exemplify the recklessness that can accompany alcohol-related fads, but it also reminds us of the need to address alcohol abuse and its associated risks.
What Is A Vodka Tampon?
Also referred to as “butt chugging” or “alcohol enema,” a vodka tampon is a dangerous practice in which a person soaks a tampon in alcohol, particularly vodka, and then inserts it into the rectum. The goal of vodka tamponing is to bypass the digestive system and the liver’s filtering process to absorb more alcohol quicker.
People believe that this trend will result in a stronger and faster onset of alcohol intoxication. However, while the body will absorb more alcohol this way, using vodka tampons is more likely to cause health complications than a strong buzz.
When a person inserts a tampon soaked in vodka into their rectum, the delicate rectal tissues can easily absorb higher concentrations of alcohol and contribute to various adverse effects. Common side effects of vodka tamponing include:
- Alcohol poisoning: The rapid absorption of alcohol through sensitive rectal tissues can lead to a faster and more intense onset of alcohol poisoning symptoms, including confusion, vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, and even death.
- Tissue damage: Rectal tissues are not meant to handle high concentrations of alcohol. Therefore, the vodka tampon trend can lead to tissue damage like irritation, inflammation, bleeding, infection, and long-term complications.
- Dehydration: Alcohol is a diuretic, which is why it increases urine production. When absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the rectum, it can increase urine production and increase the risk of severe dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, and kidney problems.
- Gastrointestinal problems: Inserting an alcohol tampon into the rectum can also disrupt the balance of bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract, contributing to symptoms like diarrhea, abdominal pain, and discomfort.
- Risk of infection: Inserting any foreign objects into the body, especially through unconventional methods, can present a risk for infection. In the case of inserting an alcohol-soaked tampon, the risks are higher due to potential damage to the rectal tissues.
- Overdose: Like the risk of alcohol poisoning, inserting alcohol-soaked tampons can also lead to overdose because of the rapid absorption of alcohol through the rectal tissues and the bypass of liver filtration.
- Liver damage: Because alcohol bypasses the liver’s filtration in cases where a vodka tampon is inserted, the liver will have to work twice as hard to filter out any toxins from the body. This can increase the risk of liver damage and other side effects caused by a buildup of toxins in the body.
- Neurological symptoms: In addition to the damage that can result from this adverse form of alcohol consumption, other typical side effects of alcohol include central nervous system impairment and poor coordination, cognitive function, and motor skills.
- Cardiovascular complications: Having elevated levels of alcohol in the bloodstream, regardless of how it gets there, can also lead to heart problems like irregular heartbeats, increased heart rate, and elevated blood pressure.
- Death: In extreme cases, the combination of alcohol poisoning, infection, dehydration, and other complications can result in vodka tampon death.
Mainly due to social media and the internet at large, every day presents a new drug trend more dangerous than the last. The risks involved with using vodka-soaked tampons far outweigh any of the “benefits” or “fun,” and anyone considering this practice should be aware of the health consequences mentioned above.
Furthermore, individuals who have a drinking problem and experiment with methods like the alcohol tampon trend to experience intoxication should seek out help immediately. Our high-end rehab offers drug and alcohol detox in Palm Beach administered in a safe and medically monitored setting that can help kickstart recovery.
Get Help for Alcohol Abuse
Long-term alcohol abuse can negatively impact your physical and mental health, job, and relationships. Though the physical effects of alcohol abuse are extensive, administering the substance in dangerous ways – such as inserting an alcohol-soaked tampon in the rectum – only increases the associated risks.
If you or someone you care about is battling alcoholism, reach out for help today. Our luxury drug and alcohol rehab in Palm Beach offers alcohol addiction treatment administered in a safe facility that does not sacrifice comfort.