Benzo Withdrawal Symptoms

Benzo Withdrawal Symptoms

Benzos, also known as benzodiazepines, are a group of drugs that depress the central nervous system. These drugs are often prescribed to treat health conditions and disorders such as anxiety, seizures, and insomnia. Benzos, alongside opioids, are one of the most commonly prescribed medications in the United States. A cross-sectional analysis of the 2015 and 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health concluded that 30.6 million adults in the U.S. reported using benzos within the past year, and 5.3 million of these individuals reported benzo use without a prescription.1 Benzo misuse without a prescription has continued to become more common among millions of adults nationwide. Luckily, many individuals who suffer from benzo addiction have received treatment. Without professional help, benzo withdrawal symptoms can be difficult to manage and can cause additional health problems. 

As a luxury drug and alcohol rehab in Palm Beach, we’re aware of the dangers of addiction and the problems that may occur due to untreated withdrawal symptoms. You or someone you know can avoid the repercussions of substance abuse by getting help.


Side Effects of Benzo Withdrawal

Benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms can occur in a person who has been misusing or abusing benzos for as little as one month. Around 40% of individuals who have abused benzos for longer than six months will experience moderate to severe benzo withdrawal symptoms if they suddenly stop using, while the other 60% will mainly experience moderate symptoms.2 These symptoms can be highly uncomfortable and dangerous if the addict doesn’t receive a proper detox or substance abuse treatment. 

The intensity of benzodiazepine withdrawal depends on several factors including:

  • The dosage
  • How often the person is using
  • How long they’ve been using
  • Whether they take any other medications
  • Whether they drink alcohol
  • Whether they mix benzos with other substances
  • Whether they have any other substance abuse problems

The longer the addiction persists, the more likely the person will experience severe withdrawal symptoms.

Symptoms of benzodiazepine withdrawal include:

  • Inability to sleep
  • Irritability 
  • Anxiety
  • Panic attacks
  • Headache
  • Severe sweating
  • Increased heart rate
  • Hyperventilation 
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Extreme sensitivity to light or sound 
  • Odd bodily sensations (feeling like bugs are crawling on your skin)
  • Hand tremors
  • Troubles with memory
  • Hallucinations
  • Grand mal seizures

The best way to manage benzo withdrawal symptoms safely and effectively is with detox treatment. At Seaside Palm Beach, we offer a luxury detox program that is designed to treat our patients’ withdrawal symptoms and help them move forward in their recovery with a clean slate.


Once the patient has undergone a detox, they will move onto their next phase of treatment. There are other aspects of substance abuse that need to be addressed to increase the chances of a successful recovery. If you or a loved one is struggling to quit their addiction, call us now at 561-677-9374 for more information on our addiction programs.


1. NCBI- Benzodiazepine Use and Misuse Among Adults in the United States

2. British Pharmacological Society- Benzodiazepine dependence and its treatment with low dose flumazenil

Share this post